Spear Bio is a young, well-funded and rapidly growing start-up company based in Woburn, Massachusetts. We are focused on bringing to market a novel ultrasensitive immunoassay platform with the ability to analyze very small sample volumes. The commercial focus of the company is on supporting life sciences, clinical, and academic research. Our platform offers best-in-class sensitivity, lab-to-lab consistency, and flexibility.
We are seeking a research assistant/associate level candidate who has a strong scientific background and desire to be at the forefront of research to join our R&D team. The Research Assistant/Associate will work under immediate supervision, and typically will report to a supervisor or manager. A BS degree or above and 1-2 years of experience in the field of immunoassays, molecular diagnostics or in a related area is required.
- Assists in laboratory analysis, quality control, or data management
- Executes assay workflows with a focus on high-throughput, semi-automated platforms
- Assists in optimizing methods for handling and processing various types of clinical samples for assay development
- Assists in biochemistry development including protein conjugation and purification.
- Requests or acquires equipment or supplies necessary for various projects
- Travels to field sites to train collaborators and customers
- Collects and records data as need for various projects
- May set up, calibrate and maintain laboratory and/or field research equipment, as specified by the requirements of various projects
- May train, lead or guide the work of a junior research assistant
- May need to prepare materials for submission to granting agencies and foundations
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering or a related discipline plus minimum 2 years working in an academic or industry lab; OR
- Masters degree with related research experience
- Hands-on work experience with immunoassays (bulk and single-molecule methods) is strongly preferred
- Hands-on experience with qPCR experimentation is strongly preferred
- Hands-on experience with protein labeling biochemistry is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with HPLC and FPLC techniques is preferred
- Proficiency in a variety of other molecular biology techniques is preferred
- Self-motivated and ability to perform complex tasks in an effective manner
- Ability to follow instruction, learn, and grow in a mentorship setting
- Excellent organizational and documentation skills
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Desire to learn about and implement new technologies
- Ability to travel within United States
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, strong benefits, a great work environment and the opportunity to enter a high-growth startup company on the ground floor. We are recruiting candidates who have demonstrated leadership and excellence throughout their careers and are excited by the prospect of- and the effort involved in- building an industry-leading enterprise.
Spear Bio Inc. provides equal opportunity in employment to all persons. No person shall be denied equal access because of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical/mental disability. We encourage women and minorities to apply for this position.